Pages

25 November 2009

The Great Needle Reprieve of 2009

Just as Courage the Turkey has been offered pardon by President Obama, so I have been offered reprieve from the terrible progesterone-in-oil shot.

Ever since my first progesterone shot, I have developed a fever of between 101 and 102 every day from 5 pm to 11:30. The kind of fever that makes me want to layer on four sweaters, fleece pants, a coat, gloves and a hat. I alerted my medical professionals to this on day one, and they responded that the fever had nothing to do with anything they were doing. This went on and on for four days, and then Tuesday, my husband came home and found me under the traditional pile of outwear and blankets and declared that this was not normal and that possibly I had the swine flu. He called the doctor and persuaded him to "have me evaluated the next day."

The next day, I went in, and the nurse evaluated me, came to the conclusion that I did not have the swine flu, and said that she had never seen anyone have a fevers like this in reaction to progesterone-in-oil injections. But they agreed to let me switch to a different form of progesterone supplementation after just one more shot. To stop my constant complaining, I suppose. So now, even though I had that last shot yesterday, and spent my evening shivering on the couch, a delight to all in the family, and even though I still have welts on each of my butt cheeks, I am free of needles for the time being. Hooray!! I am also apparently free of fevers, as it is now 6:17, and I am tired and nauseated, but not shivering.

I am thankful for alternatives to progesterone-in-oil shot.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. nayla - i will give thanks for your needle reprieve - but somehow feel i was lax in duties and that if i had only delivered tea and biscuits of destiny, i could've aided you in remaining afebrile. why do you live so damn far away, lady? stay away from pointy objects...
    xo

    ReplyDelete